Dal Makhni (Restaurant Style)
Last Updated : 23 Aug 2016
Dal makhani or maa di dal, as it is popularly known in the punjab with its smooth velvety texture and lovely flavour is a delicacy that is very much a dish of the punjab. The primary ingredients in dal makhani are whole black lentil with red kidney beans, butter and cream
- Whole black urad dal - 100 gms
- Rajma - 20 gms
- Onion , roughly chopped - 1 medium
- Tomato,chopped - 3 medium
- Ginger,chopped - 1 inch piece
- Ginger, juliens - 1 inch long
- Green chillies - 4
- Coriander leaves - 2 tsp
- Bay leaf - 2 small leaves
- Cinnamon stick - 1 small
- Kasuri methi leaves - 1 tsp
- Butter - 60 gms
- Fresh cream - 150 gms
- Salt - to taste
- turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
- Kashmiri mirch powder - 1/4 tsp
- Coriander powder - 1 tsp
- Water - 600 ml
- Milk - 100 ml
- 1. Soak dal and rajma overnight. In the morning, boil it with 600 ml water along with cinnamon stick and bay leaf.After one whistle keep it on simmer for 15 min and switch off the gas.
- 2. Grind onion, tomato, ginger, green chillies into a fine paste.
- 3. Heat butter in a pan and jeera to it.Add ground paste to it.Add coriander powder,turmeric powder, red chilli powder, kashmiri mirch powder and salt to it.Fry this masala until oil starts separating.
- 4. Lightly mash boiled dal with laddle and add it to fried masala.cook it for 10 min.Add ginger juliens and cook it for 5 more min.Now add 100 ml cream and milk.
- 5. Add chopped 1 tsp green coriander leaves, crushed kasuri methi leaves and 50 gms butter.Cook it covered on slow heat for 10 min.
- 6. Serve piping hot makhni dal garnished with fresh cream and coriander leaves.
- Note : Apart from its preparation time,its soaking time is 8 hrs (as dals are soaked either overnight or min 6-8 hrs)