Last Updated : 21 Sep 2016
Malai koftas are very popular and delicious vegetarian Indian dish in restaurant.malai koftas are deep fried paneer and flour dumplings with or without dry fruits stuffing that are crunchy outside and soft and creamy inside. A little sweet, smooth tomato based gravy poured over them just before serving makes it a perfect vegetarian main course recipe. Garnish with a swirl of fresh cream and your malai kofta curry is ready! Eat it along with chapattis, paranthas or steamed rice and enjoy the pleasures of a grand vegetarian Indian meal.
- Making koftas : 1 cup grated paneer
- 1 cup boiled and mashed potatoes
- 2 tbsp cornflour or arrowroot powder
- 1 tsp finely chopped green chillies
- 2 tbsp dry fruits mix of cashews,raisins,grated fresh coconut for stuffing
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- For gravy: 1/2 tsp jeera/cumin seeds
- 1 cup onion paste
- 2 cups fresh tomato puree
- 1/4 cup cashew paste (10-15 cashews soaked in warm water for 30 min and blended into a fine paste
- 1 tbsp ginger greenchillies paste
- Pinch of elaichi powder
- 1/4 tsp kashmiri mirch powder
- 2 tbsp malai or cream +1 tbsp cream for garnishing
- 1- 1 .5 cups milk
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp kasoori methi
- 1/4 tsp - haldi
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp chopped coriander leaves, for garnishing
- Method 1. Take a mixing bowl and mix all the ingredients together except oil and dry fruits , nicely .Make cylindrical rolls or round balls by placing 1/4 tsp of stuffing in the centre of the kofta .
- 2. Heat oil in a kadai .Deep fry on medium heat until becomes golden brown and crispy . The koftas are ready .
- Gravy: 1. Heat oil in a pan and add jeera.When it crackles add ginger greenchillies paste , saute for a minute .
- 2. Then add onion paste , cook on low heat , until becomes brown , then take it out in a bowl .
- 3. Now heat a pan and put tomato puree , cook on low heat , Add haldi .
- 4. Now add the onion mixture and cook for 5-7 minutes , stirring occasionally . Then add kasoori methi ,kashmiri mirch,cashew paste and cook for a while .Then add milk and keep stirring for 6-8 min . Now add malai and keep stirring until the oil separates Now add salt and cook covered for 5 more minutes . Now add elaichi powder . The gravy is ready .
- For Assembling : Place the koftas in a serving bowl and pour the gravy on top . Garnish with cream and coriander leaves on top of each kofta . It is ready to serve . You can have these with roti , paranthas , naan etc. Enjoy .