Bread Gulab Jamun
Last Updated : 14 May 2018
- 4 bread slices
- 2-3 tbsp of milk
- ¼ cup of white sugar
- ¼ cup of water ,
- A pinch of cardamom powder
- oil or ghee for frying.
- Mix the water and sugar in a sauce pan. Bring to boil and simmer until you have a thick syrup
- This shouldn't take more than 10 minutes.Add the cardamom powder and mix well. Once the sugar syrup is ready, start on the jamuns
- Remove the crust from the bread slices, Chop up into small pieces and transfer to a bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of milk and use your fingertips to gently start mushing up the bread slices. Don't press or knead too hard, the bread will become hard on frying. Add more as needed by the spoonful and keep mixing until you get a dough that can be shaped. Be careful not to add too much milk, it can make the mixture very sticky and hard to shape
- Once done, shape into small balls. You can grease your hands with ghee or oil when shaping if that helps.
- Set aside on a plate and make balls with the entire mixture.Heat oil or ghee until almost smoking and gently drop the bread balls into the hot oil. On medium heat, fry until golden brown. Make sure you keep the flame medium when frying, otherwise the inside won't get cooked properly.
- Once the bread balls are a dark golden brown, drain add to the warm sugar syrup. Let the jamuns soak in the sugar syrup for a few hours until softened.
- Serve warm or chilled